#1
For two weeks I have to notice the quiet acts of service around me and acknowledge them in a meaning full way. Below is a list of some of the things i saw happen over two weeks.
- Tess told me I look cute even with zits.
-Reagan set the whole table without whining or me asking her to
- Jordan folded the laundry and set a timer ( don't ask)
-Jordan started cooking hburgers without me asking
Ellie helped Tess clean up her toys
- Maddox comforted Tess
- my friend Julie helped another friends kid and and gave her a ride on her bike.
-My friend Priscilla made sure sick husband was comfortable and medicated before we watched our show
-Jordan took Timmy and Haulsey to special needs scouts with our complaining
- Ellie helped Maddox make his lunch
-Maddox let Dayton have the Legos he wanted
- Tess carried things in from the car for her siblings without me asking
*This is far from a complete list of all the service I saw going on. But basically what happened is, after several days of reminding my kids that I was watching, they started needing less reminders to serve eachother. It was beautiful thing to see. And as always, I set the tone in the house and when Im being kind and patient, they are more helpful and kind. Today I took each kid by them selves and thanked them for all they have been doing to help me and our family.
# 2
The second goal for good works is to help in planning and preparing meals for your family for to weeks. Because I already do all of the meal planning and preparing, I'm going to enlist the help of my kids. I'll report how it went after two weeks. It just sounds like more work to me, but I guess I will be teaching my kids a valuable skill:)
So its been two weeks. The kids did help plan what we were going to have for dinner. They helped a little more with the prep. I did not bring them to the store with me to help shop. But Jordan and I did have a talk about having our kids help with more chores around the house and even made a plan. So this goal will have to be a process. We want to teach our kids to work hard and figure the only way to teach them that is to give them hard work to do.
#3
Three things I'm going to do to help bear others burdens are:
(without mentioning specific names
-One person is having a hard time with friends. I think by being more understanding and kind and not so preachy, I'll help this person feel better about themselves and more loved.
- one person has a lot going on in her life right now. I will take on what ever projects I can for her.
- I will pray for both of these people every day.
I think that's all I can do right now. Maybe I'll be inspired.
update: Although I didn't do anything major, I have been praying for both of these people and helped when I could. I think I have been helpful somewhat helpful to both. The most important thing is they both seem to be more in control. Not because of what I did, but I think Heavenly Father has heard my prayers (and Im sure theirs) and blessed them with peace and probably other people in their lives that have been able to help them.
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Good Works
Posted by Melissa at 3:15 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment