This weekend I took my kids (minus Tess, plus Ellie's friend Shelby Monks) to see the Broadway musical "Wicked" when it came to Phoenix. Josh Hiatt and Jordan planned surprised us with the tickets a few months ago and we've been really looking forward to it. It was fun to go with Annie, not only is she one of my best friends, she loves all things Broadway and Wicked. Jack Hiatt and Maddox were so cute. Jack kept saying "Maddox, this is so Awesome!" and Maddox was enthralled the entire time. The lady who played Elphaba was amazing. She was as good as Idina Mendel who was the original. The lady who played Galinda was great not quite Kristin Chenoweth, but who is? Annie had a sweet hook up and we were able to get a tour of backstage after. The costumes were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Each one is so detailed. From the layers of fabric and stitching to the silver monogrammed buttons. and were so expensive. One set of monkey wings were about $50,000.00. Just one of Elphaba's dresses was $125.000.00. The music is so great in this musical. I got the chills so many times as the actors belted it out! Heavenly Father truly blessed them with a great ability and gift.
in my personal progress I had to memorize article of faith #13. Luckily this is one of the few that has stuck with me from my youth because I don't memorize like I used to. Here it goes... We believe in being honest, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men. Indeed we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul. We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
I think this play fits into these categories. Its great we have this article of faith to be a guide. Entertainment is becoming more and more tainted by Satan. And I fall victim too often (radio and stupid TV shows get me) Things that appear good or fun or popular are sometimes the worst. I know that if we use these guidelines in evaluating the things we watch, listen to, or do, we will have the Holy Ghost to be with us. I know how I feel when I watch something not great. I feel not great. There are so many beautiful things (like wicked) out there to see, hear and do, why waste our time or our soul on things that aren't. This is was a good reminder for me.
| scary pictures, I know, but it was all I took. This is us on the stage. |
| the kids in front of the Wizzard of OZ head. |

0 comments:
Post a Comment