I just completed my course one in Wilton Cake Decorating. It was fun. I learned a lot of great tips. I plan to take the next 3 classes and hopefully get really good. I don't like cake that much, but I need a new hobby. Plus I figure with 4 kids I will have a lot of birthday cakes to make in the future. These are Pictures of my first two cakes. We made cupcakes one week. I think decorating cupcakes will be how I use my new skills most.
I am not posting these because I think they are great. Our instructor said it is fun to look back and see how bad your first cakes were. I sure hope I get better, but I am already way better than I was before the class!!
There is just one problem. I think the Icing is disgusting. The recipe they had us make uses Crisco. YUCK! I tried using butter one week, but I couldn't get the consistency I needed to make roses and other stuff. If anyone has a great icing recipe, I would love it. PLEASE share.
Maddox obviously doesn't have a problem with the frosting!
Sunday, March 2, 2008
My New Hobbie... Cake Decorating
Posted by Jordan at 10:22 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Very Cute. The picture of Maddox tasting the icing looks like Jordan a few years back.
You might try to get the cream cheese frosting recipe from Costco they use on their carrot cake...it is great. Not sure how, but maybe there is a way.
It will be fun to see your cake chronicles.
A fun hobby.
I loved taking that class. I ended up buying the whole wilton kit that comes in the little caboodle/tool kit when there was a 50% off coupon at Roberts b/c I thought that I was going to be this awesome cake decorator and would need it... unfortunately I haven't really kept up my skills.
Your cakes look great though! I really want to find out the recipe for the frosting from Ukrop's. I was thinking that maybe you could frost the cake with a better tasting frosting and then just use the crisco kind for making roses and the other stuff.
I kind of want to take the fondant class next... although, I am not sure if they are offered here. Oh, maybe Leslie Graff (the one who made my wedding cake) has a good frosting recipe. I don't really remember my wedding cake so maybe it was the same kind of frosting...
I think your cakes look great! I dont really love cake either, but who wouldn't want to eat it when it looks like that. Great Job!!
I dont think you need to learn any new skills... Dont you already know how to do just about everything??
Ya know, Leo has a birthday coming up, I could use a good cake... And if you need someone to taste-test any cakes you make when you're out in the OBX, I'm ALL about helping you. :)
Get a load of those roses!!! Good work Melis. So fun. I love cake decorating myself. :)
Melissa Annabelle!! Great job! Your roses look great. I always love everything you do. I wish I could say that you get your talent from me, but that is just wishful thinking. Love you tons! Mom
I'm so impressed!
Post a Comment