Sunday, February 8, 2009

Hemingway, our little dog

This was supposed to be a fun post about our new little puppy named Hemingway. He is the cutest little white puffball maltese. But the story has taken a sad turn.

First, how we came to have Hemingway... Friday night we were trying to do something nice for our kids so we told them we would go out to dinner and then to the pet store. We like to go look just for fun, not to buy. The pet store by my moms house has puppies so its a specail treat to go there instead of petco or some chain. Secretly I was thinking if they were really good I might let them get a fish or a hermit crab or something.

We got there and held the puppies and I heard my self saying "Ok we can take him home". WHAT?!!! I have 4 puppies (you may call them my children) that I'm still training! I really am not ready for a dog.

Here is the sad part. The universe may have heard my inner thoughts because it turns out that he is really sick. I spent the afternoon at the animal ER. They wanted to hospialize him but it would have been over $1000 dollars on top of the $300 I had to spend for the treatments and tests they did while I was there. Jordan and I made a deal in the first 10 minutes we had him, that we wouldn't spend more than $500 at a time on him.
They pet store has a policy that you can return the dog in the first 7 days only if diagnosed with a life threatening disease. I went to the store to talk to them and they asked to take him home and try to make him better.
Its amazing how attatched we all have become already. Ellie and I cried all afternoon and I think Jordan got choked up when I told him on the phone(he had to go to Scottsdale for business today).
I hope the next post will be some good news. I didn't even take a picture of him.

6 comments:

Suzie Soda said...

Oh I am so sad for you all. I told some of kids you got a dog and they couldn't believe it. I am not a big dog fan because I am afraid of them....but I remember how sad everyone was at our house when Max left. He wasn't sick.....so I sure hope Hemmingway gets better.
I will remember him and all of you in my prayers tonight.He sounds like a cute little thing. xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry little Romans family. He is such an adorable little thing. Vicki and Linda got lots of pictures at Grandmas last night. Maybe he will get better. I love you all so much. Mom

Steph said...

that is sad for you guys.....altho i am NOT an animal person AT ALL....i remember when my family got rid of our puppy Nelly after 2 weeks, and as much as I never wanted her in the first place, I was sad she was gone!

Marci said...

Wow that is really sad, but it just reaffirms to me that I will never have a pet. But I hope your little puppy gets better. Your kids are so good they deserve a cute little dog.

TRICIA said...

you are a nice mom to go from a fish or hermit crabs to a dog! my kids will want to be in your family instead! I hope he gets better. how did you pick the name?

Jared and Shelby said...

I have to ask... did you get Hemingway at Incredible Pets? If you did, my neighbor got a boxer there last week and same thing, the dog was totally sick and they were able to return him. Their dog had a hereditary problem though, I guess.

Hemingway really is so cute and I hope you and your kids have fun with him :)