Friday, January 7, 2011

Ellie the Spelling Bee Champ

This week Ellie was in her school spelling bee. Before Christmas break, she won her class spelling bee, qualifying her for the school contest. 4th through 6th graders compete in front of the school. Ellie was so nervous. Lately, she has been having a problem with making up very pessimistic "what if's". Before this event she asked soooo many times, "what if I get out on my first word and what if everybody laughs at me?" Anyway, during the Bee, she was so darling and poised and polite. We were so proud of her. It came down to Ellie and a 5th grade boy. He misspelled the word concomitant. Ellie had to spell it right and then spell another word correctly. Her winning word was zigzaggedness. When they read her final word, she smiled a bit before she started to spell it. We had studied that word. And she knew it. Z-I-G-Z-A-G-G-E-D-N-E-S-S... silence...no ding from the judges (which means a word was spelled wrong)... and the crowed erupted in cheers. I was the loudest... and I started to cry.

this is Ellie, the principal Mrs. Marshall and her teachr Mr. Dominguez.








This is my favorite picture. After she realized she won, she immediately ran from the stage to the back row to give me a hug. I loved it!

Now she's on the the district BEE.

5 comments:

Steph said...

I LOVE it - ahh the memories it brings back! I have great memories from my spelling bee days! I loved learning and spelling all the words! Wish we were closer so I could come watch and cheer her on!

Dan said...

I was happy to discover your blog today. Congrats on your daughter's winning her spelling be! I was unable to find a contact link. I hope it's OK that I'm contacting you through a public comment. I've developed an educational program for Windows called SpellQuizzer that helps children learn their spelling and vocabulary words without the battle that parents often have getting them to sit down and write them out while the parents dictate to them. The parent enters the child's spelling words into the software making a sound recording of each word. Then the software helps the child practice his or her words. It really helped my children with their weekly spelling lists. While Ellie may not need any help with spelling maybe her younger siblings would benefit from my software?

I would love to have SpellQuizzer reviewed in Our Barrel of Monkeys. If you are interested in hosting a giveaway of a SpellQuizzer license I'd be happy to supply a free license to the winner. You can learn more about the program at www.SpellQuizzer.com. There's a video demo you can watch at www.spellquizzer.com/SpellQuizzer-Demo.htm and a community site where SpellQuizzer users can share their spelling lists with one another (www.SpellQuizzer.com/Community). Finally, there's a page targeted to homeschooling families at www.spellquizzer.com/spelling-software-for-homeschoolers.htm. I'd be happy to send you a complimentary license for the software. Please let me know if you are interested.

Thank you very much!

Dan Hite
TedCo Software
Dan@SpellQuizzer.com

Katie said...

Wow! Congrats Ellie!!

Lindseybabe said...

Yay!!!! So exciting!!! I can't wait to tell Taylor!

Rita Grider said...

Congratulations Ellie Bean!! We are so proud of you and love you so much. The pictures of you at the spelling be are wonderful. Not only smart but darling!!! Love you!