
this is the tent city where the firefighters stayed.

Looking at this picture, I just wondered if the zip line Jason Armstron built burnt down:)

I know there were other fires in other places this year, but to me, this is THE fire of the year. Also, I know most of my Herriman friends have already blogged about this and I don't have anything to add to what they have said, but I wanted to write about my families experience for our little family history. If you don't read the whole thing, you should at least scroll down and read the important things that Jordan wanted to save.
On the other side of our mountain is the Army reserve camp, Camp Williams. Sunday afternoon they were doing some machine gun practice when a spark started a small fire. They were working on containing it when the winds picked up and it spread, well, like WILDFIRE.
As we left to go to my parents home for dinner at about 4:45 the sky was filling with smoke, but we didn't think too much of it. As we left my parents house to go home at about 7:30, the sky was filled with smoke and we could see flames on the mountain from across the valley. Shortly after we arrived back home, we received the call to that we had to evacuate.
It was amazing to see the flames and the smoke so close to my house. It was beautiful and frightening at the same time. As we evacuated, I never really got to panic mode. I did have a little adrenaline after the official phone call came. I knew we had a place to stay (my parents were excited we were sleeping over and they could spend more time with us before we move). I knew what I needed to grab and where it was. Jordan wasn't out of town, although he did decide to leave me with the kids to get everything ready while he drove around to check it out.
This spring I refurbished our 72 hour kits, but we didn't bring them. They are for EMERGENCIES, not emergencies. Plus I only plan to wear the clothes in them if my house burned down along with the rest of Utah and I have to wonder around with my kit on my back. Maybe I should put something more fashionable in them. Im rambling now. sorry.
I sent the kids to their rooms with a backpack and told them to pick out 2 outfits, get 3 pair of underwear and what ever else they thought was to special to lose in a fire. They all picked the same things ( I wish I would have taken a picture of their backpack contents like my friend Michelle) They each had their blankie from when they were a baby. the quilt my mom made them when they were a baby, a book or two, a stuffed animal or two, some silly bands, and a few other treasures. Ellie made sure I grabbed the chimpanzee she made in her ceramic class last year. she also made sure that after she made it, I displayed it in a prominet place. I also grabbed all the photo albums, my computer storage thing (I should learn what its called, it goes into my usb port and has a lot of memory. I have all my picutures saved from the last 5 years as well as a bunch of other stuff) our fire proof safe that we keep all our important documents in. some cash ( i recently sold a bunch of stuff on KSL and I have more cash right now then I ever have. Shoot, I just sent an invitation out to all the robbers who read my blog). I grabbed my phone charger, my address/phone number books and my recipe file. Oh I also got all the scrap books and my camera and video camera. Jordan grabbed his ipad, his new bottle of cologne and his new cole haan shoes:) Im sure Jordan would have grabbed the important stuff if he had been there when I was gathering it up. to his credit, He did suggest I go around and take pictures of our closets and food storage... but not before I took a couple of his bike.
When we left sunday night I really thought we would be back monday morning. As I drove away, I realized I would be ok if my house burned down. Its just stuff, I had everything that was really important to me with me, MY FAMILY. The rest is just stuff. However I did have a monent when I thought what a bummer it would be to lose all the great stuff we got at Downeast home. Especially my bed, tess's bed and our green chair:) We didn't end up being able to get back into our house until late tuesday night. there was a police blockade in front of our house and that yellow tape on our door.
When we returned we were glad to see there was no dammage, you couldn't even smell the smoke inside. Some of my neighbors weren't so lucky. A few have some major smoke damage and melted fences. I didn't know any of the people who's homes burned down (there were only 3). It is amazing that only 3 burned. the fire is within feet of hundreds of homes. the fire fighters worked so hard. One of the pictures below is of the tent city they set up for them selves near the city hall. Once again, this fire showed me how awesome Herriman is. Our little community really pulled together and were so well organized and ready to deal with something like this. If (when) we move back to Utah, I want to move back to Herriman.
I feel so blessed to have so many great people ready to help me and my family. and feel so blessed to not have been negatively affected by this fire. It was a crazy experience.

3 comments:
Glad no one was hurt and all was well. It is not fun going through a fire..it took me years to get it all resolved. I a glad Jordan got his cologne. xoxo
I am so happy to read your detailed version of how your family handled everything. I am so interested in what people take and what I would have taken as well. That was fun! Oh and we are pretty sure the zip line burned. We took down the actual line when we moved, but Jason was so proud that he could still see the base from the Google Maps satellite. I am sure that it is no more though after that pic. Funny how we thought of the same exact thing!
I've been thinking about you all week but figured everything was ok and the last thing you wanted to do was re-hash the story for a former neighbor. Hopefully all our friends up there are okay. How scary!
Post a Comment