Last weekend I participated in an all ladies bike ride called Golidlocks. Dani Lassiter and the Healthy Herriman council organized it. I was so nervous before! I had only been on my bike twice. Once last year and once this year. Both rides combined totaled about 10 miles, and I signed up for the 30 mile goldilocks ride (there were choices of 15, 30 or 60). I was worried that I would be really slow, that my bum would be killing by the end, that I might fall trying to clip out at a stop light, and that overall I would look like an idiot. None of those things happened!
The thing that made me do it with such little preporation, was knowing I was going to be with some great friends, Lisa Dana and Jenni Carlson. Jenni has a little more experience on a bike, but Lisa has about the same as me, plus she was going to be riding a mountian bike (which are slower than road bikes)
As you can probably tell by the big smile on my face in all the pictures, I had a blast.
30 miles really didn't seem very far and the course didn't have too many big hills. Its only been one time, so it may be too early to tell, but I think I really like biking.
During the race we had one little hiccup, Lisa got a flat tire and we had to stop for about 30 minutes. Jenni was changing her tire for her, but the spare tube had a hole in it also. Luckily, just as we stopped, Clark (Lisa's husband) happened to come by. He ended up taking Lisa and her bike to the bike shop near our house for a quick repair. She was able to rejoin us a few miles later.
Since this was a LADIES ride (and not a race) they had a lunch stop for us at Daybreak (a neighborood along the way) Cozette Carlson, catered it with Miki's help. Miki wanted to ride with us, but Dani played the "your my sister and i need your help" card. It was well organized and really fun. I think I will make it an annual event and may even sign up for some other organized rides/races.
Jen and Lisa trying to fix her tire.
7 comments:
How fun! Can I come next time?
very cool! i love that you did that!
What a fun day! Nobody should look so photogenic riding a bike :)
That is awesome! You look so good on that bike. Cute jacket and helmet. Yes I second what Audrey said.
YOU ROCK MELISSA! You look so cute on your blke and I am so impressed that you could do 30 miles with little preparation. So so cool. You are setting a good example for your kids and having fun doing it.
Good for you. I am proud and happy for your success. xoxoxo
Great job! It's inspirational to see you and Lisa do something out of your comfort zone. Riding bikes totally intimidate me, but you made it look so fun!
Way to go Liss!! Next year I am there!! Love you, Mom
Post a Comment