Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I'm 30!

I turned THIRTY yesterday! I feel like I've been looking forward ( not in a yearning for kind of way) to this day for ever. I remember when my mom turned 30. It just seemed like it was something that would happen when I was old and established. I have come to the realization that I AM old and established. Sometimes I feel like I am playing house. I live in a nice house, drive a minivan, have 4 kids and a husband. I drive many carpools, host parties at my house, am a member of the PTA, periodically pull out gray hair, tell my kids to clean up their rooms and about 100 other things 30 year olds do.

Jordan planned a great day for me. He started by putting 30 balloons in my room. Attached to each one was a laminated card with something that he loves about me on it. He also had printed up an itinerary with cleverly written things to do. We went to the temple and had lunch together. They he went back to pick up our kids from my nice friend who babysat, while I got a pedicure at a spa (not just a nails place next to a grocery store) and had some time to do whatever I wanted. He also arranged to go out with some friends this weekend, but I said it wasn't for my birthday. I am done celebrating.

A few years ago I made "to do before I'm 30" list. I am happy to say that I completed many of the goals... I'm sad to say I didn't do everything. The list was quite extensive.
Here are some things I did check off
- read Book of Mormon
-take photography class
-go to Europe ( our tickets are purchased, we leave in less than a month, it counts)
-be able to run 5 miles without stopping (not too hard, I know, but I was in a bad running place when I made this list)
-read 10 books (I was also in a bad reading place when I made this- I am proud to say I read more than ten books thanks to the twilight series and the sisterhood of the traveling pants series)
-be able to do the splits again (I half way did this one, I can do right only)

Here are some I didn't check off
-take voice lessons
-be able to do 20 regular push-ups (I am in a bad push-up place right now. I can 7 and that is an improvement)
-be caught up on scrapbooks
-do a triathlon
-read new and old testament from cover to cover
-have 18% body fat

The list, done and not done, goes on and on these are just a few highlights!

I think I am happy to be thirty.

6 comments:

Katie said...

Happy Birthday Melissa!

Steph said...

happy birthday! you are one "hot mama" 30 year old! I wish i could look that great at 30 - and do a bunch of things too - guess i better start making the list since i am closer to 30 then 25.....altho i will always feel 25! glad you had a great day! also, tess is SOOO cute! can't believe she is 1!

Suzie Soda said...

Well 30 seems like forever ago for me in one way and in another, it just flew by. So much goes on. But it sounds like you have done so many things you wanted to do... which is a great feeling. You have a beautiful family and a pretty nice husband to plan such a fun celebration. 30 laminated cards is awesome. Put those on the net blog......unless they are not for public viewing :).

Lindseybabe said...

Welcome to the 30 club! I am so happy to have you join! Happy Birthday!! 30s are the best! What a cute hubby! I am sure making the list was easy! You are so easy to love!

Mike & Lindy said...

I love you Melissa Ann! Happy 30!

Utley Family said...

Happy Birthday (late)! Thirty was one of my favorite years. Enjoy it!
I can't believe that your baby is one! She is adorable!