Monday, February 18, 2013

Rock climbing with the Fam




 
 
Jordan and I realized that more often than not, our family outings were going to a movie or going out to dinner.  We do not want to raise our kids that way.  Although we still love movies and restaurants, we want to be active as a family.  So today, when we had some time for a family outing, we decided to go rock climbing. We were met with mixed emotions from the kids.  But they mostly wanted to go.  I love rock climbing and once took a class at UVSC that was pretty awesome- I want my kids to love it so we can graduate from indoor climbing walls to actual mountains.  Tess, Ellie and Reagan all LIKED it.  Ellie and Reagan even got to the top of several of the walls.  Tess was strong but got a little nervous and didn't want to go to the top.  Maddox did great the first couple times and went half way up the wall.  The next time he climbed I made him go up a little farther saying he couldn't come down if he didn't. Nice parenting, I know, but I didn't think it would be a big deal and that he would be proud of going higher. I was wrong.  What I learned about Maddox tonight is that he is afraid of heights.  Once he got that foot and half higher on the wall he was frozen in fear.  I  wouldn't lean back to get his feat on the wall so I could help lower him down in the proper position.  After about 10 minutes of me and Jordan and Ellie trying to tell him what to do, He got into position enough for us to bole him down.  I was sad he hated it and sad that none of my kids seem to share my love of it.  We are still on the search of an activity that can be our families "thing" we do.  Growing up, my families thing was boating.  I'm still holding out hope that in the near future boating will by our families "thing" also.... since rock climbing didn't work out.

0 comments: